As with any new IT buzzword, IT leaders must figure out what is really new and what is an old concept with a new name. Many argue that cloud computing is a truly new concept while others explain it as clever packaging of outsourcing, web accessible tools and a few pricing models.
What is clear is that it has taken us by storm and promises to simplify large chunks of IT budgets across infrastructure and application software line items. In addition, many computing resources, from processing power to storage to apps, are available to anyone with a browser and a credit card (procurement, are you listening?).
I created this CIO Guide to Cloud Computing to help cut through the hype. As always, please send me your ideas for improving it. Thanks to my colleague Nalneesh Gaur for helping me find the gems.
Cloud Computing Articles
- The Future is Partly Cloudy
- Why Cloud Computing Has Legs
- The Biggest Barrier to Cloud Adoption
- Public Cloud Adoption – Where are You?
- 5 Questions to Explore True Cloud Costs (and Beware Cloud Computing’s Hidden Costs)
- Is the Cloud a Key to Sustainability?
- The OpenCloud is Hazy
- How to Plan Your Cloud Computing Mix – CIO Magazine
- Social Mobility and the 3rd Cloud – Dr. David Reed (via Slideshare)
- Public versus Private Clouds – Hanuk’s Microsoft Platform Strategy Blog
- Cloud Computing Best Practices – Java Developer’s Journal/Jim Liddle
- Experiences Deploying Large Scale Infrastructure in Amazon EC2 – Agile Testing blog
- Busting 9 Myths of Cloud Computing – CIO Magazine
- Separate Cloud Computing and SOA Teams? Noooooo! – InfoWorld/David Linthicum
- Skin in the Game and Never Secure Enough – Chuck Musciano (cloud SLAs and security)
Cloud Computing Resources
- The Wisdom of Clouds – CNet News/James Urquhart
- Cloud Vendors – A to Z – IT Management and Cloud Blog
- The OpenCloud Manifesto
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to CIO Dashboard to receive the latest posts!