CIO Guide to Social Mediapost by Chris Curran on May 3, 2010
Social media’s impact on the enterprise is still unclear. For every compelling story about Dell or Starbucks there are stories about wasted time and security concerns. What is clear is that the new ways of socializing electronically are here to stay – until a newer, cooler, more exciting once comes along to take its place (MySpace anyone?).
It is also unclear who in the enterprise will emerge as the champion for social media. Maybe it will be a combination of people and roles? The CIO and IT leadership have a great opportunity to be part of the solution. I’ve sorted through hundreds of articles and web sites in building this CIO Guide to Social Media – I hope you find it useful. Please send me your comments and suggestions.
Social Media Articles
- Time is Running Out for the CIO to Lead on Social Media
- Social Media Monitoring and Analysis
- 5 Things I’ve Learned About Twitter
- Are IT Leaders also Social Media Leaders?
- Social Media as the CIO’s Trojan Horse
- Twitter Bible for CIOs – Kristin Burnham/CG Lynch, CIO.com
- 3 Reasons a CIO Should Care About Twitter – CIO Update
- Professional Identity Online – Are You a Dog?
- “None” is not a Social Media Strategy
- Starbucks Crowdsources Two Obvious Apps – John Sviokla
- Are there any Real CIOs in the Twitterverse?
- Social Networking Use Increases, But Has Yet to Transform Government – Public CIO
- Stop the Web 2.0 Flood
- Why Twitter is the Duct Tape of Marketing – co-authored with John Sviokla
- Twitter: SOA in Action
Social Media Blogs
- Chris Brogan – broad discussions of social media business, culture, attitudes and related products
- Web Strategy – Jeremiah Owyang’s excellent blend of online business, metrics and technology
- The Conversation Agent – online business, marketing and PR by Valeria Maltoni
- Seth Godin – simple and sometimes profound ideas; short and sweet
Social Media Books
- The Cluetrain Manifesto – an oldie but goodie
- Enterprise 2.0 – Andrew McAfee’s view of social media in the enterprise
Social Media Resources
- The CIO Twitter Dashboard
- CIO Twitter Lists – Abbie Lundberg, WeFollow
- The Ultimate List of Twitter Resources
- The Social Media Revolution – a fun YouTube video with some interesting stats
Social Media Examples
- Skittles.com – broad social media integration
- Pepsi Refresh – ideas marketplace
- 5 Facebook cases from Mashable
- 12 Twitter cases from Slate